Monday, March 31, 2008

Who Will the Saints Draft?

Well, the draft is rapidly approaching, and it seems to be the only thing anyone can talk about.

Here is some linkage to a bunch of Mock Drafts:
Pat Kirwan...Vin Carucci...Football's Future
NFL Draft Blitz...NFL Draft Dog...NFL Draft Countdown
Draft King

  • DT Sedrick Ellis seems to be the most popular opinion, and I agree. I don't know if he will still be available. There is speculation of a trade up with New England in order for us to acquire him. I would be absolutely shocked if Dorsey was still available.
  • I agree with Draft Countdown: "Most will have a cornerback here but after recently investing big free agent dollars on Jason David and Randall Gay, not to mention a 3rd round pick on Usama Young last year, it's pretty hard to envision them using a Top 10 pick on the position." However, the team also spent money in free agency at the linebacker position with Jonathan Vilma and Dan Morgan. More reason to go with a DT.
  • Payton has consistently said they will go with the "best player available" policy (thats how we wound up with Meachem) and not draft for need (usually a mistake). If both of the top rated DT's are taken and/or they don't trade up, than the pick will be whoever the Saints think is the best value at the tenth spot, which is anyone's guess.
Of course its a crapshoot. I'm sure nobody thought Reggie would be a Saint.

This is a hot topic, talk this one up.

On the lighter side, here is a picture of Drew Brees with Alfonso Ribeiro, better known as Carlton from Fresh Prince. I smell sitcom!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nola,
I need to get my son involed in this blog. I think Sedric or Dorsey would be a great pick for the Saints. I sure hope Dorsey don't end up with the Dirty Birds.
Tazzie

Dave said...

Get everyone involved! Post the link to this site anywhere you can and send out a mass email to anyone you think would enjoy it. I think everyone would love to have a hometown guy like Dorsey, but after his workout the other day, it seems like he is gonna go pretty quick. He didn't do AMAZING but he did live up to the hype and maybe put some of those injury worries to bed. There is definitely a good chance he will go to Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

I would realy like to see the Saints stock up on CB's and LB's. In the first they could get Cramartie CB, the second could go to Curtis Lofton LB, and in the third Craig Steltz S. Ya'll may think I'm crazy, but listen to this. Payton got Bobby McCray DE in free agency, now they could move Grant over to DT so he can start side steping OG's and producing a ton of trouble in the backfeild. I believe that if the Saints aquire Cramartie, he would provide lots of compatition and make our secondary really good. I watched Lofton play this year, and he is a hard hitting, sideline to sideline LB. And we all know Craig Steltz (can anyone say John Lynch look alike).

Dont know if anyone saw this yet
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/03/saints-in-pacman-fray.html

Dave said...

As far as the link about Pacman Jones, it was from March 24, so I think that qualifies as old news. This is the latest from ESPN... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3321650

I think your right about the CB's and LB's. But I don't think they are going to pick up players for only those two positions. I am actually holding out hope they may take Matt Forte from Tulane in the second round.

I have heard nothing about Grant moving to the inside. That does sound a little out of the box.

Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Matt Forte would be wasted draft pick in the 2nd round. Thomas is a going to move into the starting line up if Duce can't come back. If you want a RB to add to our allready deep backfeild, than look to the 4th or 5th round and see that Mike Hart will be smilling. He has the attitude that payton wants on the team.

On my previous post I talked about the Saints drafting CB in the 1st, and OLB in the 2nd. I belive that copatition will improve our Def, and add good depth. So when Dan Moragan goes down, we will have a good back up x2. Morgan will train Lofton. Don't get me wrong I really hope the Morgan and Vilma are healty and stong for this season.

I can't remember where I saw the article about Grant moving over to DT. But it does sound good. He is faster than most gards, and he would pressure QB's. He would push them into either Smith or McCray.

If you wacth the draft and follow the Saints as much as I do than you would know all this WILL change and Payton will probly trade out of the 10th pick for a later round and a good player. Just like he did last year and the year before when we got Jeff Faine and last year he traded away the 2nd round for a 3rd and 4th rounders. The Saints really don't need the 10th pick after free agency. This years draft is deep in almost evey pos.

Anonymous said...

Yes the Saints have spent money on free agent CB's the past two season, but that doesn't mean the guys the spent money on are any good.
If Ellis is off the board at 10 the Saints should go with Aquib Talib. He's a hell of an athlete who could immediatly upgrade the playmaking ability of the Saints secondary.
I think Rodgers-Cromartie is too much of a trendy pick. I think he wowed some people with his athleticism at the combine and that somehow vaulted him into the top-10 of most mock drafts. I like to think it takes a little more than pure athleticism to be a good football player.

For more Saints opinions, check out my blog at www.mvn.com/nfl-saints/